We continue to see more severe weather across the UK and worldwide. The shifting weather patterns is increasing the risk of flooding. Although you can get flood insurance to cover the cost of a flood, this may only be a short term solution and it does not compensate for the hardship of having your home flooded. The proces of repairing flood damage can take months, which can lead to disruption.

One way to protect against floods is by mitigating the amount of water that enters your property. It may not be possible to turn your property into a submarine (nor do we advise this), but you can take steps to mitigate the ingress of water. There are also steps you can take to increase the resilience of your property if you do get flooded (e.g. raise plug sockets or have hard flooring).

Whether the property is a home, a business or commercial premises the principles of flood protection remain the same. The Buffalo Flood products are bespoke manufactuered in the UK, and we can help advise on the most appropriate product. But here are a few tips to help you understand the right flood product for you.

1. What type of flooding could impact my property?

This may sound like an obvious starting point but it is important to understand there are different types of flooding. And the type of flooding most likely to impact your property. There are two types of flooding: “fluvial” and “pluvial.” Fluvial floods are caused by rivers and streams. Pluvial floods are caused by rain or precipitation.

Fluvial floods including river and coastal flooding, which usually provides more time to install flood protection solutions. This means passive flood protection, such as flood barriers are appropriate. Flood sensors and signing up to the Environmental Agency Flood Warnings are recommended steps to get early warning of a potential flood.

Alternatively, if you have more risk on flash flooding then active flood protection such as flood doors or anti-flood air bricks could be more appropriate as they do not require installation. In most situations, a combination of flood prodcts is required.

2.    What level of flood protection is required?

If you are retro-fitting flood protection to an existing building, then using the last flood level is a starting point. However, we typically recommend a flood survey to outline all the potential flood risks. For most homes in the UK, a 600mm level protection is suitable. However, for low level garages, car parks or basements, higher flood protection may be required.

If low level protection temporary protection is required, then a product such as Flood Sax may be suitable. These are a great eco friending solution to flood protection. However, if frequent or high level flooding is likely, then additional protection is probably required (such as flood barriers or flood doors).

3. Where can the water enter the property?

Water will find every possible way to enter the property, so it is recommended to do a thorough walk around the property to understand all the locations that water could possibly enter the property. A flood survey could also be helpful here. Remember, if you have low level rooms (such as basements) you may want to look at solutions such a sump pumps. An often neglected area to assess is the drainage. In floods, water can enter the drainage system and sewage water can backflow into the property. A non return valve is recommended to prevent backflow. The valve acts as a one way valve, allowing fluid to exit the property but prevent sewage water from coming back up the drain pipe. For most residential properties in the UK, a 110mm is suitable. For commercial buildings a 150mm non return valve is required. Low level air bricks should also be replaced with anti flood air bricks.

4. What if water enters my property?

Firstly, your safety is the number one priority. But as previously mentioned, sometimes water will find its ways into the property. There are some steps you can take to mitigate the damage:

  • Raise electrical sockets above 1.5m
  • Fit solid wood or stainless steel kitchens
  • Replace wooden frames with UPVC
  • Use cermic tiles (instead of wood or carpet)
  • Store items high up away from the floor

Overall, there are a number of steps to take, and it can be abit daunting at first. Don’t worry, we are happy to help with any advice for the most suitable flood protection.